Setting up a free blog or a website with custom domain!
I spent some time trying to figure the best and cheapest way to host my own website (+ blog). This post talks about few points of that journey.
- Bought a domain theox.in in Godaddy
- Searched alot about which blogging platform to choose. My main requirements being:
- It should be very light-weight.
- It should support custom domain mapping.
- It should be cheap or if possible, free.
- It should be flexible to customize.
- I tried several options out there and finally chose on Jekyll. The solution takes advantage of Github Pages. Main reasons why I chose Jekyll being:
- I don’t have to pay anything extra and can have my custom domain for the website.
- Since the webpage is nothing but Github page of a repo, adding a post means committing changes to Github repo, which means, an apparent increase in my github activity - a boon for a consultant like me who is anyways blogging mostly on coding.
- I detailed the process of setting up the Jekyll website in this post.
- If I hadn’t have chosen Jekyll, I would’ve probably started blogging in Medium. It was also pretty cool.